Prolonged exposure to moldy environments may cause a variety of health problems.
In 2004 the Institute of Medicine (IOM) found that:
- There was sufficient evidence to link indoor exposure to mold with upper respiratory tract symptoms, cough, and wheeze in otherwise healthy people;
- with asthma symptoms in people with asthma;
- and with hypersensitivity pneumonitis in individuals susceptible to that immune-mediated condition.
- The IOM also found limited or suggestive evidence linking indoor mold exposure and respiratory illness in otherwise healthy children.
Other recent studies have suggested a potential link of early mold exposure to development of asthma in some children, particularly among children who may be genetically susceptible to asthma development, and that selected interventions that improve [cleanliness / cleaning habits, and / or] housing conditions can reduce morbidity from asthma and respiratory allergies, but more research is needed in this regard.
Otherwise mold is a bad thing, but the burning question is – how can you prevent it from growing inside of your home? Here are some video tips from
ServiceMaster Restore ®:
Some Bathroom / ‘Loo’ cleaning help from Clorox ™